Sunday, August 23, 2009

So Bill, How Did You Spend Your Weekend?

Well, thanks for asking. I spent the entire weekend at PopSmear studios in San Rafael, hanging out with the band, Scott, our fearless producer, his engineer Joel (from an amazing band called Scene of Action), and Scott's dog Cooper. And I tell you what, dear readers, recording is some exhausting stuff. You all know me to some degree, and you all know that I'm not one of those people who sleeps, really. Yeah, I sneak in a day here and there to really put head to pillow, but generally speaking, I trend to not require as much sleep as the average bear. But man, I tell you what, recording is some exhausting stuff. It's not mentally taxing, it's not even specifically physically taxing, there's just some combo of having to be listening critically, being ready to play at any second, and drinking that really takes it out of you.

So now, after three full days in the studio, we have the vast majority of four songs recorded (sans vocal harmony, but that's about it, and everything else sounds flippin' fantastic). And now that I'm home for the night, I'm dog tired. Things sound great, I got to rock the CD in my car all the way home, and all I can do is think about hopping in the shower and sleeping like the dead.

Of course, as happens in the life of Bill, I happen to have plans every night of the week. I know they say no rest for the wicked, which makes me wonder what cosmic being I pissed off in order to wind up like this. You'd think I slept Vishnu's sister or got drunk and punched out God's cousin. Oh well. Thus is life.

No comments: