Sunday, October 24, 2010

Couch Potato Week/end

I've spent a hell of a lot of time house sitting over the last little while - I think I've been house sitting for somebody for six or seven of the last eight days. One thing I always appreciate about house-sitting for people on the weekends is the ample supplies of cable channels running marathons of their programs. That and sports, of course. I've been able to watch playoff baseball, regular season football, and over the last two days, a whole crapload of "Ghost Adventures" on Travel Channel. I don't know what it is, but there's something that is just super entertaining about both learning about haunted sites around the country and watching a musclebound tool with a cock-a-doodle-douche haircut (who just so happens to be a former wedding DJ of all things) getting the crap scared out of him. It's the recipe for a fantastic weekend of doing nothing. But for me, this existence is a little strange - I didn't go out Saturday at all (going to my parents' place for dinner doesn't count), and I haven't left the house I'm house sitting all day today save for walking the dog twice. Yes, literally walking a canine, not the euphemism, you dirty kids. But yeah, this sedentary life is pretty damn foreign to me.

But you know what? Every now and again, a couple of days spent in like this really do me well, more than anything else because now I want to go out and raise hell tomorrow. Usually, I'd just be keeping the status quo of doing a few things here and there every day, but now after two days of doing no work outside of solidifying a nice butt indentation on my friends' couch, I am looking forward to doing some writing, some cleaning, some music composition, hell some anything that doesn't involve sitting down or watching a TV screen. Yes, it helps that I am going to a show tomorrow night, so I know I'll be getting out of the house in the evening time, but I'm talking about waking up at a somewhat human hour, taking the dog out for one last walk before her parents get back into town, and going home and checking a bunch of stuff off my list.

Generally I am opposed to the whole "sloth for fun" idea, since I usually get so distracted, but I tell you what, there's nothing like a rainy weekend in the Outer Sunset to make the allure of sitting on a couch watching cable TV sound like music to my ears. I guess now the big test will be to see if I blog again tomorrow and show that I kept riding this wave of energy to fruition.

No comments: