Friday, January 4, 2013

Long Overdue, As Per the usual

I know, I know. I don't ever write anything compelling on here anymore.

Hell, I don't ever write anything on here, really. And I'd love to change that, to get back into the swing of things, but alas, life just hasn't worked out that way recently.

But here I am, at the beginning of yet another new year, and as much as things never change in my life, a lot has changed. I've been living in an amazingly comfortable house with great people for almost two years now, and that in itself has changed my outlook on blogging. See, it used to be that I'd blog as a way to pass the time, as a way of being able to relate the minutiae of my everyday life to the world outside of my old bedroom, and now I have roommates and a constant flow of guests in and out of my house all the time with whom I share my life.

I spent one night at my folks' house over the holidays while my car was out of operation, and I realized all over again how I got started blogging in the first place. It really struck me: for years, the center of my universe was my little basement hovel. I spent an inordinate amount of time in that little room, and now I spend less time in my bedroom than just about anywhere else in my house. It is refreshing to be surrounded by new and interesting people, and for once it almost feels anti-social to run to the solace of my bedroom to write posts on here.

Also, in recent months I started a new writing job, which means that I now spend the majority of my waking hours in front of a keyboard, dedicating my grey matter to coming up with compelling things to say, so when I get home, I actually find it necessary more and more often to switch my brain off. This goes along with two qualifications: first, I actually really enjoy the job that I have now, I feel like I've found somewhere where I know that I fit in the workplace, and I'm working alongside equally creative and fun-loving people, and it's been great. The second is that yes, I totally realize the job came along far after I'd stopped updating this blog regularly. I get it. I'm a pretty lame blogger at this point, and the steady decline in the number of postings paints a pretty vivid picture of that.

But as I embark on a new year, for once I feel somewhat invigorated that changes are just around the bend, and that is a pleasantly unique feeling in my life. I feel more driven, more creative, like I kind of have my shit together just a wee bit more if nothing else. It's a good feeling, and I hope that as my life begins to take on something more closely resembling some sort of structure, that an uptick in blogging goes along with that.

More importantly, don't think that this post is the indication of a change in me; this blog won't suddenly become all puppy dogs and ice cream. I still have plenty of bile to spread, and lots of beef with a lot of stuff around me, but I feel like now that things are beginning to fall a bit more into place, I will be able to re-capture some of the optimism and hopefully some of the wit I had back in the early days. Because, as I said ad nauseum before, when you're spending the bulk of your unemployed life on the couch (or in a small basement room), there isn't much external stimulus, and you can only dwell on your own misery so much.

So here's to a new year. Hopefully 2013 will be the year that I finally get some of my shit together and start re-realizing some of the potential I once had as an apple-cheeked youth, or even as a slightly hung over twenty-something. Mazel tov!

No comments: