Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Being Sick


Tonight, I reveal a little character flaw in my life: I put no stock whatsoever in being sick. I recognize that people get ill. I recognize that people need extra sleep when they are ill and need to take care of themselves when that happens. However, unless you are displaying many signs of being really friggin' ill, I believe it's all in your head. Not that I call people liars, I just feel like too many people allow themselves to completely shut down when they don't feel good. It's really an issue of mind over matter, and it's the fine difference between "being sick" and "fighting something off" -- if you never let yourself "be sick" then you are always fighting it.

However, I'm a unique case study as well because when I get sick, I'm not like the vast majority of people who want someone to take care of them. Rather, when I am sick, I want to be left the hell alone. I think that is my general imperative towards solitude, which is nothing new, but the last thing I want is someone checking with me if I'm laid up. I just want to be left alone to drift in and out of consciousness as I see necessary.

So, for you folks who are all "oh, I had a little fever and just felt really run down so I am taking a day or two to rest and recuperate" I'm sorry, I just don't go for it. Granted, I put my body through a pretty rigorous battery of shitty food, inconsistent sleep schedules, and drinking. This regimen, paired with my rugged Swedish heritage, keeps me rather impervious to all but some of the more major illnesses these days. To all you sickly Sallies out there, I say "sack up, take some ibuprofen, drink fluids, and power through. The society will be better off for it."

Erin Go Bragh!!! Have a great St. Patty's!

No comments: