Monday, March 9, 2009

Where Loving Son Meets Hipster Music Snob


Chances are, the vast majority of you who read this blog already know this, but for those of you who don't: my sister is getting married in just under three weeks. Naturally, this means that the whole family has been abuzz over all the proceedings for weeks now. As I am always wont to do, I am staying as far as humanly possible from all these discussions, plannings, and all that. It's not that I don't know how: I think my best man experience clearly speaks for itself. Rather, I just find that it's best to have as little as possible to do with family decision making, especially in matters that don't really directly affect me one way or the other.

I have been given a chance to inject a little interest and some cred to the ceremony by doing a reading, and I'm looking for something that isn't 1st Corinthians 13 or Shakespeare's Sonnet 116. I actually look forward to the chance to find something that isn't trite or played-out.

However, there's one aspect of this wedding that, being the musical know-it-all that I am, I am inadvertently getting dragged into, and I couldn't be any less happy about it all. See, I am a self-admitted, self-realized music snob. I like a wide range of bands that most haven't heard of, and I always have a little tiny shred of self-satisfaction when I can drop the name of a band that others haven't heard of before. Paired with this is a general dislike for a range of bands who I consider to be on the boring side of music. But I digress... Back to the subject: my dad is trying to pick out a song for the father-daughter dance. The problem with this is, my parents keep asking me about if I have songs to recommend. Being the musical snob that I am, I naturally have a ton of songs that I think could possibly work, but the bigger issue is the fact that my dad's knowledge of usable songs stops with much of anything written after 1975.

So now I have to patiently explain to my parents from time to time that, chances are, I do not have what song they are looking for. Nope, I don't own any Better Midler albums (does any hetero man under 30?). Sorry, I don't know that song that was a duet from Peabo Bryson that may have been in a Disney musical. I'm afraid that the next request is going to involve Yanni or John Tesh. Hell, I actually find it promising that he's moved away from John Denver, more towards Neil Diamond.

I tell ya, I feel just like Jack Black in High Fidelity when the guy comes in and asks for a record of "I Just Called To Say I Love You" but at least that guy wasn't his blood relative.

No comments: