Wednesday, September 17, 2008

That's gross, MUNI rider. Volume 1


Roughly 5:45. Outbound L going towards West Portal. I am standing in the aisle because my usual mid-bus safe haven was already spoken for. I notice a woman a few feet from me, seated, but her head is moving around in a weird way.

At first I think "Hm, she must be cracking her neck or something."

I look a little closer, and what's going on?

She's flossing.

On the bus.

I can't say how gross this is and at how many levels of gross this hits on.

Number one: no one should ever, EVER floss in public.

Number two: I hesitate to even touch my face after being on MUNI for long, and I sure as hell never eat without washing my hands first, so putting your bus-soiled hands directly into your mouth is disgusting and unsanitary.

Finally, number three: have you seen many people's bathroom mirrors after they floss? There's all sorts of tartar and food chunks and saliva that has popped from the floss onto the mirror. There was no mirror to catch this woman's mouth-generated trash, just the pantleg of whomever happened to have the misfortune of standing up in front of her.

Just thinking about this makes me want to throw my clothes in the wash and hop into a giant tub filled with Purell.

Unfortunately, I'm sure if I peek up from my book frequently enough, I'll have plenty of these to post as the days go on. Therefore I'll end this as plan to end all of these stomach-churning episodes; by saying "That's gross, MUNI rider!"

1 comment:

SFMuni Lady01 said...

We love this segment and highly agree! Along with clipping nails and picking noses, flossing should be on the list of no-nos on mass transit. Thanks for the shout out!

Smooth riding,
SF Muni Ladies