Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A random smattering.

First things first: I found a new favorite cocktail, the Sazerac. It's much like my beloved Manhattan, but there are a few subtle differences: instead of bourbon, they use rye whiskey, and instead of vermouth, they use absinthe or some related derivative. Imagine it: rye, absinthe, bitters... all with a little twist of orange.

Computers are wonderful things but they also possess the power to make you a mindless drone to its vast superiority. Nate, if you're reading this, I'd look over your shoulder; I think the machines are inching closer to a hostile takeover. When you get back from China, you might find your office taken over by a charming MacBook Pro named "Hal."

I'm not saying it's set in stone, but the way things are looking at the moment right now, I may have just put my guitar on mothballs until 2009. The Lava Rats have finished their obligations, and everyone is busy. Taylor has a baby, Rodd is working all the time, and I have a thesis to write. It's bittersweet, but duty calls.

As I was being subjugated by my computer over the weekend, I snuck in some time to re-watch the full series of Freaks and Geeks. It's a wonderful show, and every time I see any episodes, I remember why I like it so much. However, every time I watch it, my blood boils at the ending. I won't ruin it for those of you who've never seen it, but I will say this much: damn hippies are even ruining the plots of my favorite TV shows.

Finally, I implore those of you who have the chance to this week, go out and enjoy the weather. Here in SF it's been clear and warm most of the weekend, and I was reminded on Sunday what a great concoction it is to have the right balance of friends & well-wishers, alcohol, and sunshine to make for a great afternoon spent outdoors. Take advantage of it while you can since while you can, since we should theoretically have a very wet fall and winter starting before we know it (Lord knows that I'm looking forward to that - it's been far too long).

No comments: