Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Getting Antsy.

This is never good - I can tell that I'm just getting really anxious about something or other these days and I can't put my finger on what it is. I don't know if it's the pending romantic holiday that I despise so deeply, the pending day on which I officially get a year older which has had a nasty habit of bumming me out far more than it used to, or if it's just the fact that I am planning on taking an extra day at the end of my three day weekend in order to finish the latest chapter of my thesis.

More than anything, I think my schedule is starting to get to me. I'm getting some four to six hours of sleep in general, and I end my nights too tired to do any significant work on my paper. I run from work to band practices to shows to coffee, and of course to the bars, but that leaves very little time for sitting still, let alone sleeping.

But enough bellyaching. That's not what this blog is for (not entirely at least) and there are far more interesting things to talk about. For instance - movies. I've had a little stroke of fortune: I was able to land a copy of the movie Barfly on DVD. For those of you who don't know, it's a glorious 80s movie based on the work/life of Charles Bukowski starring Mickey Rourke, who is a far more depraved and belligerent drunk than Matt Dillon's interpretation in Factotum. Still, the reason this is so worth mention is the simple fact that it was never released on DVD here in the States, but I was able to find a Region 1 (therefore American DVD player-compatible) copy from a guy in Greece who was selling it on eBay. I tell ya, I'm rife with Bukowski now -- I watched Factotum the other day, I'm watching Barfly as I write this, and I've been re-reading his book Women on my commute. It's been sweet.

No comments: