Sunday, July 12, 2009

Legend?

Whenever I toss out the word "legend" I can't help but think about "The Legend of Boggs" but unfortunately, that's not what tonight's blog is about. Rather, narcissistically enough, it's about me. See, last night I was at an old stomping ground after hours (Seniore's Pizza, for you in the SF cognoscenti) and as often happens to be the case when in an old stomping ground, I ran into some guys who I went to high school with.

The two young gents were both about two years younger than me. I know it's commonplace to look up to the older guys when you're in school and all that, but apparently this has somehow hung on with a few of the fellas. See, as I was walking out of the pizza place last night, the two fellas I know started calling after me, saying that I was "A San Francisco Legend", as if all the people around should know my name and who I am.

A similar thing happened a few weeks ago with another friend from high school who is a few years younger than myself. He introduced me as "the legendary" Bill Bergstrom. So here's my thing: I don't consider myself to be the slightest bit legendary. I don't think I'm really exceptional, and while I'm not looking for a pat on the back or anything like that, I just wonder what the heck happened. I know I had high school figured out, I know that I was kind of a big deal back in the day, but I don't know what happened in the meantime. I don't think any of my current compatriots would call me legendary, though I certainly am held in high regard. Then again, I was also much smoother with the ladies. Guess maybe it just goes hand in hand.

Guess I have to change my description.

1 comment:

Jamie O said...

Wow! A San Francisco legend! That's pretty nice. You must be a legend--I know who you are, too! ;)