Monday, June 16, 2008

Creativity.



Or lack thereof.

I don't know how many of you, dear readers, have creative pursuits in your day-to-day lives. I have a couple, this blog being one of them, and music being the blanket term to cover much of the rest of it. However, in recent weeks, save for a few moments of clarity or providence, I have felt like I've got nothing cooking. I want to write some new music, get a new band together, and I've been kicking around the idea of writing a little short fiction here and there just to keep myself sharp. Yet for whatever reason, I have nothing to offer right now. The music that emanates from my fingers is little more than re-hashed interpretations of everything I always play. Chord structures escape me, melody lines fade away as if taken by the breeze. I know I sound ridiculous and sentimental right now, maybe even a bit cheesy, but a creative blockage like this weighs on my well-being. I feel like there is something hanging over me from the time I wake until the time I go to sleep. I know most people will simply say that I should not focus on it, give things time and let it come naturally, but that isn't really an option. I blinked and somehow my summer is already a month gone. It's been great; I've been reading some great stuff, listening to a bunch of amazing music, and generally enjoying myself. Still, I feel a somewhat pressing desire to get something creative put down on paper, tape, whatever.

Suggestions?

1 comment:

Jon said...

I definitely know what you're going through, Bill. When I have moments like that, I usually try to do new things or stuff I haven't done in a while. I don't necessarily mean music or writing-related, but new experiences. Like, I'll go to a park I've not visited in some time, or even just go for a walk during a time when I'd normally be sleeping or doing something non-productive. I usually start to think differently after that, and I get more creative as a result. I don't know if this would work for you, but it could be something to think about.

Good luck!