Monday, June 30, 2008

Ugh.


So I'm a little under the weather and a little exhausted, so I don't have much to offer tonight. My sinuses feel like they're going to burst at any moment.

So I'll leave you with one amusing anecdote before the day's end. This evening I was out at a bar (surprise surprise) and at one point needed to run to the restroom. Like many bars, the men's and women's rooms were right next to each other, and (again) like many bars, the men's room did not have a reliable lock. Let me first explain this to many female readers: bar men's rooms are notorious for not having a lock that will sufficiently keep the door closed, however, as men, we are usually standing up to pee in there, which in many of these bathrooms means we are facing away from the door. It still makes for some awkwardness, but as long as the back remains to the door, you're usually fine. I don't know why most bars don't at least invest in something as simple as a sliding bolt lock or a simple hook and eyelet system, but that's another issue...

Back to my story. I proceed to the men's room, open the first of two doors (why a bathroom needs a breezeway is beyond my ken), reach for the second, give the knob a tug (not even turn, mind you) and open the door. What do I see? A woman standing up from the toilet. Yes, it's pride weekend, so the prospect of a "woman" in a bathroom is slightly more likely, but still, this was an honest-to-goodness woman or the most amazingly convincing tranny I've ever seen. I quickly let the door go, mumble some inane "Zuh, uh, sorry, um, I don't, uh, sorry." and hop back to the safety of two doors' worth of removal. A few short moments later, she comes out and apologizes to me, explaining that she didn't realize she was in the men's room.

Here's my question: how does this happen so often, especially at bars? I have seen a number of women accidentally go into a men's stall. Do you not realize there are two? Do you not read the door? Are you really that drunk? I mean, I've had times when I've gone to a women's room, but I was fully cognizant of my actions, since there was no one in there, a lock on the door, and someone occupying the men's room for a bit too long. Are these ladies just not detail-oriented people, or does the promise of the awaiting porcelain just get too much and they run into the first door they are able to find that yields successful results?

All I'm gonna say is thank heavens I'm not one of those weirdos who unzips and is halfway ready by the time they cross the threshold of the bathroom, or we both would have had some explaining and apologizing to do.

No comments: