Tuesday, June 3, 2008

97.



Attention: What follows was supposed to be my 100th post spectacular. That is, until I realized I only have ninety seven. The reason for this mistake is that apparently my internal post counter counts drafts as well. So here is what WOULD have been my hundredth post. I'll give it to you now because I pretty much used up my creative juices for the night in coming up with it. Maybe for my real 100th post I'll write a ninety seventh post. You'll just have to wait and see.


Well well, I made it to my hundredth post. In honor of this momentous occasion I will be having a little list fun and giving you five things that have thus far unmentioned in the blog (at least that I can remember). Enjoy, and tomorrow I'm sure I'll kick off post 101 with some gripes about stuff that bothers or annoys me.


1) A worn out zip-up black hoodie: In my opinion, everyone should have one. Especially in San Francisco. This is probably one of the few towns in the US where a bunch of non-hipsters all wear zip up hoodies. Why is this? Because it's the perfect adaptable piece of clothing. It's enough to keep you moderately warm, it can be zipped to the neck if you're really chilly or worn open if you just need a bit something extra to go with your tee. It can be layered beneath a jacket for added warmth, and it has a hood. It might be the most essential article of clothing any San Franciscan can have. Over the past year and a half or so, it has become an unquestioned part of the "Bill look".

2) Rye Whiskey: I have sung the praises of good old mother bourbon on this blog a number of times, now it's time to sing the praises of her peppery, spicy stepsister, rye. Rye never gets its props. You can't get it in most super markets, most bars just have one choice (which is cool, Jim Beam puts out a respectable rye), but when you consider the recent boom in scotch, you have to also wonder why the hell Rye hasn't caught on. There are some old fashioned purists out there who believe that a true Manhattan should be made with Rye; I won't say it shouldn't, but if you ask for a Manhattan, you better assume you're getting bourbon. So why does it get a spot on my special anniversary list? Simple: after MANY years of searching, I honestly thing that it is the best shot to accompany a PBR back. Yes, Jagermeister and PBR is a classic combo, but I find that Rye treats me a lot better, especially if I am getting deep into the shots on any given night.

3) Rice: A recent discussion with my mother led me to the realization that rice is much more of a West Coast thing than an East Coast thing. She honestly prefers egg noodles with a bunch of dishes. I love rice. I can't say that forcibly enough. I love rice. White or brown, as long as it's piping hot, I'm happy. I'll eat it plain, with butter, or, best of all, with soy sauce. In my mind, there is no better starch to be had. You can really eat it with damn near anything too. Just think about it, is there any dish you can think of where rice can't be swapped out for whatever starch you use? Don't even get me started on rice-based casseroles. Or deep-fried rice balls. There are just so many tasty and wonderful options. Damn, I could go for some right now....

4) Chrome Messenger Bags: No, this isn't just because they have wicked hipster cred. No, it's not even because they have those silly belt buckle release systems. It's because they are friggin' INDESTRUCTIBLE. I have had mine for a bit over a year now. In that time I have taken it to school every day, taken it across Europe with me, used it as a suitcase for trips up to the Pacific Northwest, and lugged it to and from the coffee shop more times than I could ever possibly count. It shows NO signs of wear whatsoever. Even the Velcro looks like the day I bought it. I can't say much more than they're one of the best designed and well-balanced messenger bags I've ever seen or used.

5) Indirect lighting: For years and years I toiled under the bright gaze of a ceiling lamp. At long last, I have such a wide range of lighting choices in my humble little abode that I may never need to touch my light switch again (despite the kick-ass Batman switch plate). Naturally, my favorite lighting is the ooooold school Christmas lighting, with those painted-on colors on the bulbs. Their light is so warm, just flipping their switch makes me feel like I'm putting on a sweater. I also have an ancient floor lamp, with the three small bulbs along with one upward facing bulb, all with a dust-ridden lampshade. Plus the old hanging lamp with the wicker shade above the desk, and my little tiki lamp. Even my lava lamps - it all adds up to make a nice ambient glow.

No comments: