Friday, October 17, 2008

A Calling?


I had what I felt was a very interesting exchange with my mom over dinner this evening. I'd discussed my day at work, and seemingly out of the blue, my mom piped up with "You know, never in a million years would I have thought that you'd be working in an office."

On one hand, this makes perfect sense: ever since I was about seventeen or so, I'd pretty much been groomed to be a teacher. I took interest in my schooling - I hung on to extra copies of my high school textbooks, not because I had to but because I chose to. I had been told by friends, family, teachers, and administrators alike that I'd be a great teacher. I got out of college, got out of the credential program, and got into the classroom. I'd like to think that I was a pretty good teacher in my own right. I'd never be in the running for teacher of the year based on my track record, but I was able to walk away knowing that I helped a number of the kids with whom I worked.

So now I sit in a cubicle. I get to comparison shop and examine products in a fun office, surrounded by co-workers whom I hold in high esteem. I get to listen to music all day and chew gum whenever the hell I want to, all while wearing jeans and a t-shirt. I'm going to say - I like my job. I don't love it, I don't necessarily see myself being a the same company the rest of my life, but I don't think much of anyone there expects that to be the case. Still, I am happy with where I am and what I'm doing, and I'm excited at the possibilities of what the future holds for me with my current employer.

Still, I can't help but think: what did my Mom mean by that? Is it really so crazy that I would enjoy cube life? I have no idea what else I would/could be doing these days. Thoughts? Takers? What else is there out there that's not retail and not in a classroom that doesn't involve some manner of office work?

Sorry to be a bit maudlin in my posting tonight, but maudlin has kind of been the theme of the week for me. On the bright side, the weekend is just a stone's throw away.

No comments: