Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hoarding it for Home.

I am a music addict, no doubt. At times I am curious about what drives me to seek out music like I do. While I don't know if I'll ever really get to the heart of this obsession. I suppose it just has something to do with the thrill I get from discovering new music, and liek to re-create that sensation as often as possible.

Fortunately, I exist in a time where most music is digitized and therefore easy to store. I have almost thirty five days of music, and it's all stored in an external hard drive which I can fit into a messenger bag. While I have a giant tower of CDs as well, it's fairly well contained (and organized as obsessively as I organize all my music). The following video is about the man who has the largest record collection - and I do mean record collection. I'll warn you, the video is slightly heartbreaking (I got a little misty the first time) but it's an interesting commentary on what is happening with the music industry and consumers in general.


The Archive from Sean Dunne on Vimeo

This also connects with an interesting discussion I had this evening about how the lack of physical media from bands will play into their legacy. All the bands who were putting out records (or CDs, maaaaybe even tapes) have a lasting legacy of their music. For instance, not to toot my own horn, but if in twenty years from now, people want to hear what The Lava Rats used to sound like, I will have CDs to prove it. With the number of bands releasing songs as download only, in a handful of years, when links expire or sites go down, they will have next to nothing to show for it.

Thoughts?

Also - if anyone has music to recommend, I'd be excited to find something new...

No comments: