Monday, March 3, 2008

One-hit wonders

Has anyone noticed that this phenomenon seems to be dropping from our culture?

I have been on a bit of a throwback kick recently, and I'm re-discovering some of those amazing bands who were around for a hot minute, then disappeared, only to leave behind (for most of them) one amazing and indelible mark on popular culture and music. Yes, I realize that the market for one-hit-wonderdom has been cornered by commercial rap music for a LONG time (since "Baby Got Back", some could argue) and I don't see that getting much better. However, I've noticed that the number of rock bands who come onto the scene and crank out one amazing song is dwindling in a major way. So here is my tribute list to one hit wonder bands, and their lasting song of the mid-to-late nineties.

1) Possum Kingdom - The Toadies: I've had this song stuck in my head for DAYS. I was shocked to see that my buddy Joe has it as his profile song on myspace at the moment, but nonetheless, I've had the opening riff for this classic running through my head for what seems like forever. And I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately, the rest of this album (and yes, I still own it) sucks wicked balls.

2) Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse: I'm sure I'll get my "good taste in music" license revoked for this one, but I can't help it. That song gets me every time. It's catchy, it's got great dynamics, and dude plays a Jazzmaster in the video. I waited forever for this album to get cheap enough to warrant taking a risk on. I wound up getting it for like eight bucks. Someone out there owes me $7.01.

3) In the Meantime - Spacehog: Yes folks, I'll agree that the rest of the album isn't bad. I'll listen to "Resident Alien" whenever I'm in a nostalgic mood, but in hindsight, those silly Langdon brothers and their bandmates will NEVER match the greatness of this one song, no matter how hard they try.

4) Three Strange Days - School of Fish: Yeah, it's somewhat obscure, but I went through a period in about 7th or 8th grade when I was obsessed with this song. Like all kids of my time, I even taped it off the radio so I could listen to it all the time. I should have kept that tape and never bought the band's CD.

5) Sink to the Bottom - Fountains of Wayne: True, they have been producing solid-playing and solid-selling albums for a long time. But "Sink to the Bottom" is one of the greatest songs of its era, and nothing they have put out since sounds quite as good. (I know they re-gained one hit wonder status AGAIN with "Stacy's Mom" but still...)

6) Stay - Lisa Loeb: I will forever have a crush on Lisa Loeb, no matter how old she gets. I'm eternally indebted to her for making girls realize that you can be ridiculously cute when you wear glasses. However, did she even release another album after this song peaked?

7) 500 Miles - The Proclaimers: I was smart, and I bought the single. I just remember this song being a cultural movement -- was it even that good?

8) No Rain - Blind Melon: I won't speak ill of the dead, but I'll just say that Shannon Hoon's dying made their inability to top this song a little easier to explain away. Lord help them now that they're trying to resurrect the band.

9) Mmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm - Crash Test Dummies: You know you're in trouble when your main contribution to pop music doesn't even have words in the title. "From the band that brought you MMmmmmmmmmmMMmmMMmMM" just doesn't have much of a ring to it.

10) A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins: I despised the song at the time, because I didn't think it warranted the radio play it got. Then he dropped off the face of the earth. Damn it feels good to be right.

11) I Got a Girl - Tripping Daisy: These guys should have been every bit as big as the Flaming Lips (both had hits around the same time), and I personally remember this album being pretty good. Damn shame I was the only person who owned it.

12) Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hand - Primitive Radio Gods: When you have to stop mid-song title to catch your breath, you have already made a tactical career error. When that long-titled song is your one great hit, you've made an even bigger one.

13) Closing Time - Semisonic: Did these guys even release an album on which this song appeared?

14) Tubthumping - Chumbawumba: This song only bears mentioning to I can quote Homer Simpson "I take a whiskey drink, I take a chocolate drink, and when I have to pee, I use the kitchen sink. I sing songs that remind me I'm a urinating guy."

15) Two Princes - Spin Doctors: These guys actually had a few choice songs on this album. I have heard they're back and rolling again, and I wish them the best. This one song pretty much is the key to open the time capsule for 1994.

16) Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms: A great song. This is another "instant flashback" song for me -- what's funny is that even the band was completely non-descript. I couldn't tell you what any of these guys look like. Apparently they JUST released a new album within the last month.

17) Stars - Hum: I LOVE the whole album "You'd Prefer an Astronaut", but again, I fear I might be one of the few people that owns it. I will also say that it turns my stomach a little to hear this one-amazing song being used as background music in the new Cadillac commercials.


So now's your chance to sound off, folks. I know I omitted a TON of songs, and I'm sure there is a new generation that I have neglected as well. What do you say?

1 comment:

RGB Monster said...

I totally had the Strange Fish album on cassette... loved that song. Album was actually pretty good all around; there were a few other good songs on it.