Monday, July 21, 2008

Great Ceasar's Ghost.


I'm not usually one to gush, but I saw The Dark Knight last night, and even now, some nine hours later, I remain as giddy as a little schoolgirl.

I went with an awesome group of peeps, we came close but not too close to getting in a fight over saved seats, and met a most amazing Scotsman later on at Tommy's Joynt.

But back to the movie. As most of you know, I'm a Batman fanatic. I'm silly with the stuff. I have more Batman comics than a person my age should really have. Therefore, when the older Batman movies started turning south (aka once Tim Burton stopped directing them) I was pretty bummed. Then all of a sudden Christopher Nolan brought things back in a major way. Now, with this, the second installment, he has finally made what I consider to be the best Batman film. It's dark. It's twisted. There are some gnarly deaths along the way. Bruce Wayne considers hanging up "the mantle of the bat" for good. Plus, Bruce Wayne is even more of a pimp in this movie than he has been in any other. Then there's the Joker. I don't want to say much for those of you who haven't seen the movie, but I will say this, in this one movie, he's made it official: he has proven for once and for all that he is the best Joker to ever grace the screen. Props to Cesar Romero for setting the bar and giving the public an effective role model for the Joker. Then there's Jack Nicholson, who really made it all happen. He brought the Joker to the masses and launched the Batman movie franchise. I was as duplicitous as the rest of you when I'd heard that Heath Ledger had turned down Jacko's offer of assistance. But all of a sudden, after seeing The Dark Knight yesterday, I can see exactly why. He has effectively eclipsed all others.

So, in short, go see the movie, but be warned it's not for the weak of heart. And if you need someone to see it with you, I'm just itching to see it again.

No comments: