Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Just one more for now.

I can't help it. I've been geeking out over Batman stuff almost all day, and I just had to do a little speculating here.

So far in the first two Christopher Nolan directed Batman movies, they have touched on a few of the very key Batman villains: The Joker, Two-Face, Ra's Al Ghul, and The Scarecrow. There are still a ton of villains that might pop up, and I thought I'd run down the ones that I would personally like to see the most. I will note three omissions right off the bat (punny pun pun): Harley Quinn, The Penguin, and Catwoman. Harley Quinn will just never appear because there's no way anyone will try to touch Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, so that means the Joker won't be around Arkham Asylum to seduce Dr. Harley Quinzell. For the Penguin, I just don't think that much of him as a villain. He'd make for a good cameo performer, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a blockbuster villain. As far as Catwoman goes, as much as I'd love it, I don't see them being able to develop the complexity of the relationship between she and Batman well enough in one or two more movies.

So who's left?

Anarky: Super smart, an excellent costume, and a compelling story behind the double life. However, it's doubtful because not enough people know who he is, and the character is supposed to be a teenager, so movie executives might have issues with Batman whomping the living crap out of a kid on the big screen.

Calendar Man: Yeah, I know you don't know who he is, but he commits crimes to coincide with specific dates, often holidays, and he's creepy as all hell. He'd be a perfect side-villain to get involved.

Clayface: I am afraid he might not make it to the big screen because they just put The Sandman into the last Spiderman movie, but with the CGI capabilities of modern movie studios, he could prove to be one of the most badass villains of all time.

Killer Croc: Another guy who's more of a B-lister. Still, the possibilities for the visual effects team are infinite.

The Riddler: I've heard rumors of him appearing in the next movie. I'd love to see it. He's a perfect mastermind to hire/pull the strings for some of the lesser-known villains.

The Mad Hatter: Cast Dustin Hoffman, and you could have one of the most sinister villains you could ever ask for. Besides, what is more fascinating than a psychopath with mind control powers? He is the perfect pair to go with The Scarecrow. (who is still alive and kicking in the movies, btw)

Mr. Zsasz: Right, more fascinating than a psycho with mind control powers: a traditional old-school psycho with a love for knives who carves a tally of the number of people he's killed onto his own body. He can't carry a movie, but damn it, he'll have you peeing your pants.

Poison Ivy: Need I say more?

Mr. Freeze: Arnold ruined this character. I think Nolan could revive him to the complex and tortured character that the comics present. Without giving much away, I think he could be an ideal villain for the next movie because he is so very sympathetic.

Bane: This should be Nolan's swan song as a Batman director. He should give the public the whole badass Bane breaking Batman's back story in its entirety. People might hate him for doing it, but talk about slamming the door shut... Plus, come on, if you REALLY want kids to see the negative effects of steroids, give them Bane, not Jose Canseco. Actually.... that could be a compelling casting...

No comments: