Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Do you tweet?

Probably two months ago or so, I started a Twitter account. To tell you the truth, at the get-go, I didn't even have a whole lot of reason as to why. I just figured as someone employed as a blogger, I should have as much knowledge as possible of all the various social networking sites. Plus, it was a generally easy thing to keep up while at work.

However, I have noticed that it has suddenly blown up in the past few weeks. All of a sudden, networks are growing, people are mobile tweeting all over the place (there are at least three separate twitter apps for the iPhone that I know of), and the whole thing is starting to get absurd. So, while I applaud the powers that be at Twitter for resisting a sale to Facebook, I am still curious as to see what will be happening in the coming weeks and months over there. Moreover, with mass layoffs all over the tech industry, how much longer can this continue. I mean, we see enough of FailWhale as it is, and what will happen as you have a mix of celebs who are getting tweeted at all the time, as well as those internet troll types who feel the need to obsessively tweet about the fact that they woke up, took a shower, and turned on their computer (all from their iphone before they have logged on to the website)? Will this microblogging craze take over, gradually pushing myspace into obscurity now that it is almost officially the slowest site on the internet? Plus, will people on Twitter realize that there are many more fun and interesting ways to take advantage of your account than to simply give status updates?

If you don't have an account, check it out - I will admit that it is pretty addictive. If you have one already, I hope we're following each other. Otherwise I'd just be sad.

No comments: