Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful.

So throughout the course of the evening tonight, I have been trying to come up with some sort of "all the things I'm thankful for" special blog posting. At the moment, I am beginning to think that I might not be able to really get everything together. Then I kicked around the idea of going bitter and spiteful and focusing on the things I'm not thankful for. But if I were to do that, I might well be considered a dick; and the people who thought that would not be wrong.

So I'll be brief, I'll be generally un-sentimental, and I'll do everything I can not to be a dick.

More than anything I am thankful that I have a job. Let's not beat around the bush, here: times were tight, I'd dipped about as far into my savings as I possibly could, and I was scarcely scraping by with the work I had. Better yet, I still have a job at the moment, despite the economic climate at the moment. I guess you'll have to check back with me after Black Friday to see just how comfortable and secure that employment remains, but in the meantime I have a good job and even better co-workers.

I'm thankful for all my friends. I like to believe that I express my thankfulness to them on a regular basis, but this is a great excuse to say it again. As happy as I am to have the great friends who have stuck around with me through all these years, I am equally thankful for an additional batch of newfound friends. Saturday nights at Gestalt may never be the same.

I'm thankful for my health -- barring the sore throat I've had for the last few days, I've been fit as a fiddle. I chalk it up to my regimen of alcohol, small amounts of sleep, and borderline-obsessive hand washing.

I am also thankful for all of you. Granted, most of you were covered in the friend section, but those of you who are just casual readers, you guys rock. If I wasn't convinced that there were some of you out there enjoying what I write and all that jazz, I probably wouldn't do this.

I will balance all this out by saying that there are a number of things I look forward to changing in the next year or so, which means it isn't all sunshine and pixie dust, but hey, I've got the rest of the year to gripe and groan. So for today, I eagerly await eating to the point of discomfort then sleeping like the dead.

1 comment:

Jon said...

That's a good list there, B. I count myself as one who enjoys reading your blog. Keep up the good work, chum, and happy Thanksgiving to you!