Thursday, November 6, 2008

Television is the Devil.


For those of you that know me, you remember that I have spent the last ten years or so with an ancient TV in my abode. It was a big ol' console TV with a remote that was probably about three cubic feet in size.

During the grand overhaul of my little hermitage, I inherited the TV that my folks were ditching in favor of their new flat screen. I also inherited cable TV for the first time in my life. So for the last couple of months, I find myself staring at the idiot box a lot more than I used to. What's worse, I think I'm starting to feel the ill effects of watching TV. I feel mentally sluggish. I have been neglecting my thesis more than I should. God help me if I ever get real cable -- I am feeling my brain softening, and I only have like twenty channels.

I think the other issue is a lack of quality time being spent at the coffee shop. It's one of those byproducts of work life: I come home tired, try to get to bed at a slightly earlier hour, and don't always have the gumption to make the drive out there. Hell, I have taken into packing it in and circling the wagons early, rather than taking advantage of a little caffeine buzz later in the evening.

I think all I really have to do is write a bunch of post-its or tattoo the back of my hand with the words "Are you sure you want to do that?" It's time to batten down the hatches and re-gain some of that momentum I had like a month ago or so. Television be damned! Who's with me?

No comments: