Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Few Tidbits From the Weekend.

So the holidays have come and gone and, as tends to happen with my world, it's been an interesting couple of days. I did the regular thanksgiving deal with the family and eating too much turkey, and meeting up with my buddy Pete and his crew for post-dinner drinks and fun.

Friday, I helped a friend shell two pounds worth of pecans for a pie competition which he was going to wage with a baking rival the following day. Always glad to help, I was a little let down that I didn't get a chance to taste the fruit of my labors. Still it was something I never thought I'd be doing.

Speaking of things I never thought I'd be doing, I can label one thing I did on Saturday night under that header as well: I rode a mechanical bull. I won't go into the specific details of exactly how all this happened, but suffice it to say that I got snookered into that "If I go, you have to go" mentality, and wound up on the back of a mechanical bull. I'd like to think I did okay as far as all that goes. Sure, it scrambled my eggs ever so slightly, but all in all, I wasn't terribly let down by the whole experience, and would even be willing to do it again sometime given the opportunity.

Over the weekend I also exposed some friends to various awesome bands and music, as well as re-discovering some gems that I'd overlooked for a while. For those of you who have it: check out Rilo Kiley's early stuff -- as much as I love "Under the Black Light" I think that "The Execution of All Things" might actually be their best work. Also, I have rekindled the flame I have for Scandinavian singers, mainly Sondre Lerche and Jens Lekman. I don't know exactly how they do what they do, but man do they do it well. I hope that someday I can tap into my inner Swede and make some music like that.

Speaking of making music like that, I set up my new four track, and I'm convinced that no matter how long I may own it, I will never possibly be able to use it up to its peak abilities. Why, you ask? Oh, it might have something to do with the fact that the instruction manual is eighty five freakin' page long. Or the fact that it comes with a separate sub-instruction manual dedicated strictly to the various ways to transfer recordings from the four track to whatever form of media I desire. Granted, if I can harness its power, I will be able to create music to my heart's desire with all sorts of cool add-ons and features, but at this rate, I'll be thirty by the time I really understand how to get this baby humming.

Well, that's all for me tonight. I guess this was a tad more personalized than I usually get with my postings but hey, I haven't really been out and about all that much this weekend in comparison to everyone else I know who had amazing tales of all the exciting travels and activities that that the holiday weekend entails. Also, I am purposefully omitting a picture since I don't have in my possession a picture of myself riding the bull.

1 comment:

Jon said...

Execution of All Things is my favorite Rilo Kiley album, with Takeoffs and Landings in a close second. Paints Peeling is actually one of my most favorite songs. Great stuff.