Saturday, February 9, 2008

Clearing up


Well, Southern California native girl, you got your wish at last -- the rain seems to have subsided for the time being. At the risk of talking about the weather in a public setting, I'll say this much: it's not so much the weather itself that I pay attention to as much as it is nature. There are maybe four instances that I can think of in which weather has a profound effect on me.

1) Heavy rain: I love it. Everyone hunkers down, and in my mind, rain on a windowsill is one of the most soothing sounds I can think of. Granted, people can't drive for shit when this happens, and it's all ANYONE wants to talk about, but if you can hole up for the night, you're in good shape.

2) Lightning: I may be one of the few people who hopes to go outside during lightning storms. I just can't get enough -- crazy thunder setting off car alarms, the sky lighting up at night, and the pattern of lightning criss-crossing across the sky. It makes you realize just how insignificant we really all are.

3) The first day after a rain storm: There's little that can compare to the quality of the air on that first dry day. Plants have all been taking in water for who knows how long, pollutants have all been knocked out of the air, and it feels like you can really breathe for a change.

4) Warm nights: I'm a big guy, so I generally dislike hot weather. I stay warm enough without the aid of the sun. However, I absolutely come alive when it is pleasant out well after the sun has gone down. I love walking in the wee hours of the morning, but that becomes quite the hassle if it's like thirty degrees and windy. Also, there is little in life finer than sitting out late at night with some booze and a cigar with friends. Hell, just tonight I walked out and looked up and the stars were all ablaze. All I could do was stand still for a moment and stare up at the sky - it was like seeing an old friend who'd disappeared some time ago. So, if you get the chance, espeically if you're in the Bay Area and the weather holds like it was today, before you go to sleep, walk out to where you can see a clear view of the sky. You'll thank me.

No comments: