Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A little admission


I'll admit it. I don't entirely hate being sick. Yes, I hate the overall effects of being sick. I deeply despise vomiting. Coughing is a moderate inconvenience, and blowing your nose... well... blows. So don't think, especially after this week, that I'm going to post a blog about how "oooh, I totally don't care about being sick" after the week I've had. No, rather I'm going to step outside of my usual pessimistic glass-half-empty viewpoint and examine two key benefits one gets when they're otherwise miserable.

1) You feel better. It's really rare to find anything else that can pretty much guarantee that you'll feel better tomorrow. No one does their taxes for a week or two and says "Wow, I feel great." You can feel relieved, you can be pleased with your return, but you don't feel physically improved as a result. Even with a good workout or sporting venture - the wellness stems from endorphins. Chances are, you wake up the next morning a little stiff and a little sore. But with illness, no matter how great or small, you can honestly say that you feel physically better (and often emotionally better as well) the following day or week.

2) You can sleep like the dead and not be disturbed. I don't know about you, dear readers, but I often get some sort of grief from those around me any time I sleep past noon. God forbid I take a nap. Going to bed at 10:30, while against my general belief pattern, does have its merits from time to time. But now picture this: lump all three of those together. Yes, the day has passed away and had no bearing on you whatsoever, and vice versa. But come on; there is something AMAZING about remaining in a zombie-like state for the better part of a day. Turn on a movie, wake up looking at the menu and not realize how it got there. Lose track of the hour. Turn your fuckin' phone off. It's AMAZING. I'm blessed that my sleeping chamber is well-shaded, so I can escape natural light probably twenty three hours of the day, so that helps too.

I'm cutting it short for tonight. I spent too much time typing up yet another assignment for class tomorrow, so now I'm going to call it a night and return to that blissful sleep state that I was discussing just a few lines back.

No comments: