Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oh, the humanity!

It's late so I'll be brief.
I was watching back episodes of Chuck on nbc.com - it's a wonderful show and you owe it to yourself to check it out. There's one issue with watching these episodes online, though: the "commercial breaks" are ALWAYS the same commercial. So, tonight I watched two episodes, which means I had to watch this commercial roughly ten times...

Now, I don't know if anyone has seen these, but if you get the chance, go to NBC.com* and look at the commercial - it will air before any episode even loads. It's for Dove Cream Oil something-or-other. The first time I saw it, I thought to my self "hm, something is amiss with this commercial." I put it out of my mind and chalked it up to the fact that I was watching said commercial on my laptop.

Then it hit me: I think there is some sort of evil brainwashing scheme going on here. In this commercial, words are mindlessly repeated, and the entire script is so redundant, it's like the line of dialogue folds in upon itself.

So, what do I, as a net-savvy geek, decide to do? Go on YouTube! Find it and analyze the hell out of it!

But *gasp* once I get to YouTube, I find something even more troubling... it turns out that this is some sort of amateur contest winner of a commercial. Yes, perhaps that explains the nauseating repetition of contrived dialogue, but it means something far, far worse:

The powers that be at Dove corporate actually believed that this ad was BETTER than all of the other ads they had received.

Can this be? I think I could make a better commercial with a better chance of being selected using some cartoon/animatronic talking phallus. I mean, come on, are we trying to broaden into the male market, or what? How, HOW I ask you. How in the world does a commercial like that WIN a nationwide contest? Even worse, how do the advertising agents remain hands-off and not get a professional copywriter to at least clean up this woman's rambling message about "me time"? Hell, buy even a hack copywriter a cup of coffee and they would probably do it. They could even write it out on TP as they're sitting on the john.

So, I guess my lesson today is that sometimes advertising and mass media gets it write, and there are some areas of television that should definitely stay out of the hands of "reality show" influence.






Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get some Dove Cream Oil Body Wash.


*Please don't construe this posting in any way as a commercial for nbc.com. It was just the first time I'd ever been exposed to that horrid commercial that will now haunt my dreams.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ahh terrible. i have that soap...