Tuesday, April 8, 2008

At long last.

I am back in the basement where I belong. Everything is set up in a manner much more conducive to the Bill way of life.

So in my ongoing questioning of the hipster way of life, I have to say the following: I don't think Broken Social Scene is that great. Yes, they nail that "indie with electronic beat" thing pretty well. Yes, I am impressed with the number of instruments these kids can make sound with, but that doesn't mean they're the greatest thing since Frank Black sliced a loaf of bread, then ate the whole thing. I don't understand how "You Forgot it in People" which I am currently revisiting scored a 9.2 on Pitchfork, a site notorious for panning EVERYTHING. Maybe I'm not as cool as I once believed I was, or maybe these kids are one of those bands that everyone claims to love because of that particular review. Hmm... I'll call the sitation "the pitchfork conundrum" and see what pans out....

Here's my recommendation: if you want cool indie-ish music that has awesome programmed beats, check out Ratatat. They're two British guys who play mostly guitars over beats and loops, and they're pretty friggin' awesome. Yes, it's all instrumental, but I still really like it. I like it better than Broken Social Scene, that's for sure.

Either way, I have a new and freshly made bed calling my name. And I have a little teeny mini-bar in the bookcase next to that bed which might help to assure that I have a wonderful night's sleep.

1 comment:

RGB Monster said...

Ratatat also has two hip hop remix albums, where they take a capella hip tracks and remix their own music under it. Totally worth a listen.

Also, indie-kidish music with tons of instruments and cool vibe check out !!!. Their bassist is one of the founders of the DFA Label and one of the guys in LCD Soundsystem