Monday, April 7, 2008

A quick one while he's away.

I know I'm lame again, but I spent the whole day moving/arranging/cleaning, and spent the whole night getting sweat on in Santa Cruz.

I would be ashamed to admit that I went to see the Alkaline Trio, but they were actually pretty good. Not "I'm going to buy a VW van and follow them across the country" good, but good nonetheless. So screw you for judging me - I keep my options open.

Before I call it a night, I have four words that will make you sound both intelligent and interesting at the same time. Throw them into conversation intermittently, and people will think more highly of you.

1) adroit: This has long been a favorite of mine. I picked it up sometime in high school or college, and loved dropping it in letters of recommendation. It means skillful and adept, especially under pressing conditions. Toss it in when you want to say that someone is good at something, and you'll automatically sound smarter than whomever you say it to.

2) monkeyshines: As many of you know, anything to do with monkeys makes me laugh, and this word is no exception. It most commonly refers to a trick or prank, but can be any kind of tomfoolery. Tomfoolery is also an acceptable antiquated word that is under-used, and you can also substitute the ever-popular shenanigans. Whatever floats your boat.

3) donnybrook: It's much, much cooler than saying "rumble" or "brawl" and it makes me think of crusty old guys who have giant handlebar moustaches and box with tiny tiny leather gloves on. You can also say "row" but that confuses people too much.

4) ballyhoo: it's a big bunch of noise, basically, but it sounds intelligent. You can also say cacophony, but that's not quite as much fun. Add a little zing to it, and hold the "o" to make it hilarious: ballyhooooooooo!

So there you go, I made you sound just a bit more intelligent. Try to use one of these words today, and let me know if it did you any good. I'm out this beezy.

No comments: