Monday, April 21, 2008

What a difference.


I know this can turn into a chicken-or-the-egg kind of argument if I'm not careful, but I've noticed recently that what you wear around the house makes all the difference in the world.
Having said this, let me qualify my statement: I am not a lounging person. I don't spend hardly any time in my bed if I'm not sleeping or trying to sleep, and I tend to be a happier and more well-adjusted person when I'm wearing shoes instead of slippers.

Okay, now that I've given a little background, let me move forward. I find that I feel renewed and invigorated when I wear clothes at home, even if I know I'll be changing before I leave. I just can't hang with the idea of wearing sweats or pajama pants around with a wife beater on if I'm not going out anywhere. I feel lazy, I feel like a slob, and I tend to get a hell of a lot less done. So why is this? Why is there such a marked difference in ideologies between clothes people and loungewear people? My main thought is temperature: if you wear pants and shoes with socks and a real shirt all the time, you don't get half as cold as you would with bare feet or some lightweight shirt on. When you aren't always freezing, you don't feel the desire to cozy up in your bed longer than you need to. You also don't burn as much of your energy getting to a comfortable body temperature.

I'm not saying I'm against loungewear. I have actually grown to like a lot of it, but I feel like if I'm really going to get something done, I need to be dressed. I'm one of those crazy folks who wakes up and gets dressed, and doesn't change clothes when they get home. (Notice I didn't say home from work because, well, you know...) In my teaching days I might change, but I'd change into a t-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes, just so I wasn't wearing my dress pants or a button-down shirt, but I was still attired in a way that I could walk out the front door at the drop of a hat and not break any of the cardinal fashion rules that I laid out way back in one of my first blogs.

Clothes people, show some love and let me know that I'm not alone. Loungewear people, let me know what I'm missing. My guess it's an inherited thing: my parents have always been clothing people (thank heavens), and many of the loungwear people I know have parents who are loungwear enthusiasts. What do you think?

No comments: