Monday, April 28, 2008

A weekend's worth.


Okay, don't blame me. I haven't been home hardly at all this weekend. Before I get started, I want to say thanks to the folks that came out to see me play on Saturday, I was pretty overwhelmed with the response. I also wanted to say that I don't really care for hippies. But most of you already knew that. That statement only has a little bit to do with the ridiculous picture at right. You'll get the rest if you keep reading.

Now, let me back-track to Friday. One of the great advantages of being connected to high school teachers is the opportunity to go to the prom well after you've left high school yourself. This Friday was one of those instances, as I got to go to the Mercy High prom. It was great, I had a wonderful time, but it did lead to discussion which was hatched between Courtney and Brian: what is the deal with high school girls and prom? Why do the spend all this money on hair, nails, dresses, shoes, and all the other accoutrements that go along with prom if everything is over in four hours? Here is my theory: this is the one day for girls, other than their wedding, to dress up and basically be a princess for a night. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's like the dry run for a wedding celebration, but it isn't far off. You've guy the guy, usually in rented pants. You have your closest friends in attendance. There is dancing. There's a shitty DJ who "wants to get the party started." There's a sliding scale of drinking and promiscuity. There are more pictures, professional or otherwise, than people would take the other three hundred sixty four days of the year combined. Whether they realize it or not, prom is like a wedding without the nuptials and with chaperones.

On a quick side note which I mention because I saw this after prom on my way to the bar, but Black Oak Books is closed. You know the one -- the used book store that used to be across from the other used book store (Chelsea Books). Now it's more like the shoe store across from the vacant storefront that used to be a book store. I am a little sad.

Other than prom and the show Saturday, I have just been running around playing tour guide to various folks who have come to visit SF this weekend, in addition to some mandatory bar time on Thursday through Saturday nights. I'm sunburned to all hell, and I am slipping slightly behind in school work, so I'm going to call it a night. I can guarantee you that I have good post in the works for tomorrow. I even have a note about it here next to my computer to be sure that I remember.

So I'll leave you with the question that will explain the ridiculous picture I have at the top of this page: have you hugged your peace pole lately?

No comments: