Thursday, April 3, 2008

It only takes a spark.


Then, before you know it, you've got yourself a fire.

So what the hell am I talking about? Simple: my hermitage. As I've stated before, I'm down in a basement, under my folks' place, living in a tiny room (twelve by fourteen to be exact) with a bunch of stuff that isn't even mine.

So for the past twenty seven years of my life (yeah, I know probably more like twenty four, but still) I have been sleeping on a twin bed. At first it was just a matter of youth, then it became a matter of space. Either way, I have never really owned a proper "big boy" bed, and as many of you know, I'm quite a big boy. So, as a way of saying thanks for helping he and his special lady friend move, my good buddy Pete gave me his old double bed. I was excited at this prospect, and gladly accepted. This began my fire.

So I know I could have just as easily dropped the double bed into my tiny little room. That would have been fine. But I'd have more bed space than floor space if that were the case, so I discussed things with the 'rents and we decided to do a bit of cleaning and organizing. Soon I'll have a very nice custom cabinet built for my CDs, a new old TV set to replace the giant-ass console set that I currently have, and there's even a remote chance that my pops will get rid of one of the giant-ass 1920s radios that currently gathers dust in my humble abode. As part of this moving and measuring madness, I realized I could much more efficiently stash some stuff if we could move a pair of huge bookshelves a few feet towards a corner. I guess this idea, which would of course necessitate the removal of the contents of the shelves, when paired with the fact that the carpet (I almost wrote "crapet" and it would have been a very accurate typo) in here is at least thirty years old, my pops realized that it would make sense to re-carpet my humble abode if we were already removing two thirds of the contents of the room.

So, while I am very excited about the prospect of a new and improved hermitage, I am slightly concerned as to when this will all take place. I thought that by beginning this project a bit before my aunt and uncle came to visit, I might spur the old man into a little more rapid action. Now that I spurred the horse, it done run off on me. I have no idea how long I'll now be sleeping in the bed I inhabited as a youngster, but I guess I just have to keep that light at the end of the tunnel in my sights while all this work goes down.

All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back...

No comments: