Thursday, May 1, 2008

Grr.


Wow. I'm not even going to get into it. But let me say I was yet again remdinded why I spend so much time in front of a computer screen in my basement hovel.

I'm not being bitter, I'm not saying I should never leave the confines of my hermitage, I'm just saying, I had one of those nights. Fucking high five.

Well, I almost blogged this afternoon. I submitted my thesis prospectus today, and it made me realize just how much of an impact the book On the Road had on me the first time I read it. As memory serves, I read it shortly after the end of my senior year of high school. I was ready to grab a suitcase, throw some clothes into it, hop into my Caddy, and go tooling across the country. Granted, it's probably for the best that I didn't, what with my not having any money or clue of what I was doing, but still. Now that I've read the book some seven or eight times, I can't say that it's lost any of the impact that it had the first time. Of course with my car currently being an uninspiring drive, and with gas prices being increasingly out of hand, me setting to the road is a bit of an impossibility. One day, though, I do hope to at least hit a bunch of States one of these days. Maybe I'll do it all by bus and write about how hellacious that experience was. I remember taking the Greyhound up to Oregon with my buddy Taylor way back when ('98? '99?) and I can tell you I was a lot more forgiving back then, and those few hours of driving were pretty awful.

I guess that's about it for today. I don't mean to be so very lame, but you know how it goes. I churned out like seven pages on prospectus this afternoon, so I'm somewhat "written-out". I'm going to be at the cafe tomorrow night, so that usually prompts some kind of gripe or craziness.

No comments: