Monday, May 5, 2008

The simple things in life.

Yes folks, I'm actually writing in a good mood tonight. I got to enjoy coffee with a friend this afternoon, and followed that with a dinner with another friend in the evening. I know they're both regular readers, but that doesn't affect my saying: I don't see either of you guys enough. Thanks for a great Sunday.

Now what does good-mood Bill mean? That's right: recommendations! So here we go.

1) Tom Waits: the man is a fascinating musician, relentlessly hip without appearing to try, and he has little-known bit part in The Outsiders. Don't believe me? Run to IMDB, fools. He's there. He knows exactly what it takes to stay gold. But to make up for that interesting career move, he appeared in one of the least appreciated movies to be released in the last twenty years: Down By Law. If you haven't seen this movie, put it in your Netflix queue right now. Like now. See that button on your computer to open a new browser window? You should have double clicked it already. Go on, I'll wait.



Did you put it in there? Good. It's a Jim Jarmusch film, and starts Tom Waits alongside John Lurie, and that silly Italian son of a gun, Roberto Benigni. Who, like all the other movies he is in, plays himself. It's wonderful.

2) Murray's Pomade: For those who really know how to work the pomade, this is the tits. A good strong hold, little grease-shed factor, and a winning ability to re-mold as needed with just a little warm water. Yes, it takes a few days to really get it all out, but with the quality of Murray's, who wouldn't want it in there?

3) Indirect lighting: Yes, it seems ridiculous, but it makes perfect sense in my mind. I tend to be somewhat sensitive to light, so when whole rooms are lit by an over-powered ceiling lamp, I tend to be a lot less comfortable. I think this is why I hoarde various lighting fixtures: my old school floor lamp, lava lamps, tiki lamp, christmas lights, and candles. Not only is the light a lot more soothing from any of these things, I can mix and match for the exact amount of light I want for anything.

4) Kitlers: I may or may not have said this in the past, but something in me goes to idiotic jelly when I see funny pet stuff. I don't particularly even like animals that much, and have never had anything more than fish as pets, but goddamn, some of this stuff really cracks me up. Frighteningly obese pets: hilarious. Weird devilish looking pets: hilarious. And this is my new love: Kilters. Cats that look like Hitler. Think this is just my weird or twisted mind in action? Think again. http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com That's right kids. A whole friggin website dedicated to it. Lame site or not, pictures of cats that look like Hitler make me laugh. I hope they do the same for you. And when you're done laughing, look up "screaming frog" on youtube. Welcome to the hell that is me killing time...

No comments: