Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Quickly.


Hey folks,
Sorry, but it's late and I'm developing more of a headache than I'd like to admit to. I did a little update on the Lava Rats site that took WAAAY more work and brainpower than should have been needed. So, having said that, I will be brief.

Scene: Bill leaves band practice in the Tenderloin.

I leave the studio, head around the corner to where my car is parked. As I approach, I see two people standing around, one has their crutches leaned on my car. I hesitate, not wanting to start any type of static. I gradually approach, and say "excuse me, this is my car and I kind of have to be somewhere." Both things are true. The one guy, who seemed to be fairly "with it," especially by Tenderloin standards, notices I have a gig bag with a bass in it slung over my shoulder. He asks "Are you playing at The Warfield tonight?"
I politely inform him that I'm just coming from band practice, and that the chances of me EVER playing The Warfield are somewhere between emaciated and none.
He then regails me with twenty some odd minutes of his life story. Where he grew up (in SF), the year he spent in jail (at the age of 18), the proper way to lift weights (lift HEAVY for few reps, then gradually decrease weight), his family tree (parents divorced, father eventually moved to Kentucky to live with his mother before he died), and the importance of family and of having a good job.
Every few minutes, I insert "well, I really have to get somewhere" which, each time, he cleverly retorted "then lemme make a long story short".

The point of this? Simple: crazy people loooooooove talking to me. It has been scientifically tested time and time again.

Before I turn in for the night, I also want to bring it to your attention that I am adding another link to my "other blogs to check out" column. My friend Madalyn from the lit program at State has a blog that has been, from the little I've checked out, pretty awesome. Imagine taking all my bitterness and spite and replacing it with humour and wit - that's kind of her blog. Hopefully you folks enjoy it as much as I do. And hopefully she adds me to her links, because that would also be awesome. And subtle.

No comments: